Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bang zoom to the Moon, Alice!

Below is an interesting video I found on GISCafe about using GoogleEarth to view the Moon.  We often get caught up in thinking only of Earth in terms of GIS and mapping-- there are a lot of extraterrestrial applications to GIS, as well.  I was chatting with some friends one night about exploring space.  Much of a space nerd as I am, I had to confess that I don't think I have the sort of makeup to be able to explore space as an astronaut.  I think I would just panic, thinking about all the fun ways in which my space craft could lose pressure, or be torn open, or how the electrical system could fail, and so on.  I told my friend Jenna, "You know, I want to be the guy who builds the rover.  Or the one who maneuvers the rover once it has landed."  She responded, "to hell with that-- you could use the rover to map Mars!"  I stopped dead and said, "you're absolutely right."  


Who knows-- maybe one of us will end up working for NASA one of these days, mapping faraway planets and satellites.  Until then, feel free to check out the video.  It's a little simplistic, considering what we've already covered in class regarding Google Earth, but still fun to check out.

Here is the video-- sorry I was not able to link this in HTML.  

No comments:

Post a Comment