Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fun with Stereotypes!

I found some hilarious stereotype maps on a design blog called "Mapping Stereotypes" by Yanko Tsvetkov, specifically, Europe as seen from various points of view.  Obviously, these are not meant to be taken seriously.  (FlowingData actually described these as "stereotypes of stereotypes" which captures these pretty well.)  Enjoy and have a good laugh... we're probably all a little frazzled from hastily compiling our Yellowstone projects (no, of course, Nicole, we've all been done for weeks now!).  As always, click to enlarge-- you will need to do so in order to read some of the smaller captions.

Europe According to the US:


I for one, cannot wait to tell my best friend in Bosnia that she is labelled "Resident Evil".



Europe from the UK perspective:




Finally, God help us all, Europe as seen by Gay Men:
Solely because the label of Italy as "Straight Homos" made me literally laugh out loud.



Along similar lines, I also found a really funny youtube video depicting Europe as seen by Estonians.  The crude illustration style and faux-amateur narration really only makes it funnier.  I don't want to say anything else, and spoil any punchlines. Have a look.

1 comment:

  1. I have some to add that I used to show in class - I'll dig them out! One was "the world according to America."

    ReplyDelete