Saturday, September 11, 2010

Baseball teams as countries within the US

Here is another "fun map" from StrangeMaps on BigThink.com.  This particular essay, written by Frank Jacobs, shows the United States of America divided not along traditional state lines, but rather where affiliation to a baseball team is strongest.  He mentions in the course of the piece that this map has an unknown origin-- perhaps a store or museum?-- but given the mannequin in the foreground and the Nike "swoosh" in the title, I would argue that a store was the more correct guess.

Here is the map:
contributed by Lee I Garnett, copyrighted by littlebudapest (click to enlarge)


The author included a list in the post of where each team is prevalent.  I would include our location of Harrisburg, PA, but we seem to be at a nexus point of the Phillies, Pirates, and Orioles, hotly contested territory a la the West Bank in Israel/Palestine or Kosovo of the former Yugoslavia.  Well, maybe not that hotly contested, but close.  

Let me say in closing that the Phillies suck.  Any further trash talk or team-rallying is encouraged in the comment thread.

2 comments:

  1. I'll bite my tongue on this... but i really liked the map thanks for posting it

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, go ahead and trash the Pirates-- I left the door wiiiide open. ^_^

    ReplyDelete